Thursday, April 10, 2014

Thoughts on Influences Part 2

Our (male) peers can be one of our biggest influences when it comes to how we judge others and how we see ourselves.

Recently I did a interview with African American females and males on what they thought about silicone injections, and how Hip Hop culture played a role in these women getting this type of surgery. I  interviewed people between the ages of 18-28, had a interest in Hip Hop music, African American females that had or wanted a large butt, and African American males who were attracted to women with a  large buttocks.

While interviewing my male participants, they both gave me similar answers. Two questions that I asked and the answers that stood out to me were: did you ever tease someone for having a flat bottom? and how do you feel about women who actually get these silicone injections?

Both males answered that they did tease some females in high school, one said he compared the female's behind to the wall. Overall, they didn't see any harm in teasing the young ladies about their appearance. I shook my head in disappointment. I asked them " did you ever think that you may be the reason why these girls were influenced to get silicone injections"? They both answered no. None of the males gave any serious thought to what long term affects their words would have on those ladies.

When I asked them how they felt about women who received injections, they didn't see the harm they said as long as it " looked and felt good".  They both elaborated on the fact that most of these women who get these types of surgery have low self esteem and are looking to seek attention, or gain popularity/status. Most females know that having a large buttocks is seen as a bonus, especially when it comes to attracting Black men, since they are stereotyped to be attracted to that part of the body the most.

I find it funny how these men said they don't really care as long as it looks and feels good, which would mean to certain women that it is an OK pass to receive this surgery as long as they can make sure it feels like an authentic black buttocks, or what they refer to as a " booty".

They also shared with me how when they see a Black Female with a large buttocks; they refer to it as an onion booty, because it has the potential to make them cry. Haha I thought that was funny, but it also shows how much power a big buttocks has, and what potential it has to make men weak and submissive.

Most of the information on they gave me on the reasons they feel why women of color choose to get this surgery, I had found in the stories that I shared with you in previous blog posts ( ex: Claudia Aderotomi having low self esteem and wanting to gain status and popularity, Apryl Michelle Brown having low self esteem and was teased when she was younger).

Share your thoughts below. Let me know how you feel about these males perspectives and opinions

No comments:

Post a Comment