Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Silicone Awareness in The Media

Hello everyone!

Before I go into further detail about silicone awareness, I would like to start showing you some artists who support the idea of women (African American) having a large buttocks.

My first example is hip hop artist 2 Chainz and Kanye West and their song titled 'Birthday Song'. I must admit, this song is very catchy. This song was released in August 2012. It went gold in the United States and reached the #7 spot on the US Hot Rap songs Billboard chart in 2012.

The problem I have with this song?

The message it's promoting in it's song lyrics and music video.

All throughout the video, you see (mostly African American) women flaunting their large assets. At the beginning of the music video we see women showing off their large assets by dancing and making it appear edible ( a woman laying on the table and the butt shaped cake).

At 1.40, these women are literally dry humping these men, and all you can see is their butts moving up and down.



Again at 3.44 you see 2 Chainz and Kanye West rapping while they have these women bouncing their butts up and down behind them. Those three women behind them are African American women and they fit the so called stereotype that promotes the idea of if you are an African American woman, you must have something large behind you.



At 4.00, we see another young lady walk by and the camera zooms in on her large assets.



Towards the end, we see a bunch of young women dancing outside, while the camera man zooms in on the action.

It looks like it was a great birthday party after all. I mean isn't it every guy's dream to have a ' big booty hoe' for their birthday?!



If not, it sure is for Kanye West and 2 Chainz as they chant in their chorus,

'All I want for my birthday is a big booty ho'

Some people may say this is simply entertainment. I already mentioned earlier that the song is catchy, that is undeniable but, I don't like the message they are sending to the women of color today.

To me, the song is sending a message that says " if you do not have a big booty, do not talk to me, I would not appreciate you for my birthday".

What happens to the young women who don't have these large assets behind them and want the same type of attention these young women are getting?

They are pressured to either go to the gym and work out ( doing squats) to receive that butt size that is shown throughout the video, or they take the easy way out and receive silicone injections.

This is no offense to Kanye or 2 Chainz, but I find it funny how these two men both have daughters, nieces, sisters, aunts and they still manage to promote this fantasized idea of having a large butt.

I feel like the Hip Hop community has to do better and make better, positive music for young people like myself to enjoy. Perhaps if they spoke about all they wanted was educated women that it might make a difference, or are they just following the popular trend in the Hip Hop community where people enjoy hearing this type of music.

Check out the video in the link below and let me know what you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y34jC4I1m70

p.s  this song has over 1 MILLION views on youtube.



No comments:

Post a Comment